Friday, November 27, 2015

Fame



Where is this dizzy height called fame
     That poets sing about?
This wondrous place of magic name,
     Has anyone found out?
If anyone has found it pat
I wish he’d tell me where it’s at.

Men sigh for it and cry for it,
     And have since Adam’s day;
And lie for it and die for it,
     And will till time grows gray.
But really now, come down to biz,
And tell me truly what it is.

Is it a thing to have and hold,
     A thing to feel and see?
A job, a gem, a pot of gold,
     A title or degree?
If anyone has made the strike
I wish he’d tell me what it’s like.

Men wait for it and write for it,
     And burn the mid night flame;
And hate for it and fight for it,
     This rainbow thing called fame.
But really, now, I’d give a byz’
To know just where and what it is.



Nov. 27, 1904



No comments:

Post a Comment