Friday, November 27, 2015

The Town In The Valley



There’s a town in the valley, O, a hundred miles away,
It’s a pretty village, where I first saw light of day.
I knew its fields and woodlands, and the river’s mellow flow,
And dropped a tear when coming here, because I loved it so.

Since then I’ve lived in many towns and pretty spots were they,
But ever would my heart turn back to that one far away;
The old town of my boyhood, the friends I used to know,
The schoolhouse scene, the village green – because I loved it so.

I’ve sung its praises far and wide, in poem, tale and song’
I’ve given it the best of me, albeit weak or strong;
I’ve spread its glories everywhere that printer’s ink could go,
And sighed for it, and lied for it, because I love it so.

                             But –
That town down in the valley which I’ve ever held so dear
Has a streak of love fraternal which is more than passing queer;
And tho’ I should not mention it I cannot help but see
That town down in the valley doesn’t care a damn for me.



Nov. 27, 1899

(subtitled ‘A Christmas Carl’ in The Little Joker’)



No comments:

Post a Comment