Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Mess Call



“Perhaps they know ‘Assembly’, an’ they’re pretty sure of ‘Drill’,
But as for any others they are thick,” says Bugler Bill
“A man could blow his head off an’ they’d never wink an’ eye
But when I blow the mess-call ev’ry private starts to fly.”

“They never pay attention much to ‘Taps’ or ‘Reveille’,
‘To Church’ won’t raise an eyebrow, fur as ever I kin see;
The sergeant has to call ‘em when it’s ‘quarters’ or ‘police’
But when I blow the mess call they come like they slid in grease,”

“Whether they’re lackin’ music or they hain’t got any ear,
Or don’t care what I’m blowin’ I dunno, but say, it’s queer,
When I toot that bloomin’ mess-call, whether morn or noon or night
Ev’ry private’s got some music in his doggone’d appetite!”



Nov. 26, 1917




No comments:

Post a Comment