Sunday, November 29, 2015

When Pa Shingled



When I was but a little chap, O, many years ago,
I well recall the day because it was a day of woe;
Pa he had shingle of his house, with some to spare, he thought,
But when he come to finish off he found that he was short.
“My boy,” said he quite harsh to me, “do you know where they be?”
At first I wouldn’t tell an’ then fear took ahold of me.

My pa, enraged, demanded why I his them from his sight,
“Becuz,” said I, with tear and sigh, and tremblin’ from affright,
“I didn’t want none left around for fear, for fear, you see,
They’d come in play most any day for use in spankin’ me!”

My pa he didn’t say a word, but cut a paddle out,
An’ fitted it, I won’t say where, a hundred times about.
I well recall the day and all, tho’ distant it may be,
Cuz when pa shingled uv his house he also shingled me!



Nov. 29, ‘08



No comments:

Post a Comment