Friday, November 20, 2015

The Transplanted Birch



I was taken from the woodland where I sported blithe and free,
Where I frolicked with my fellows just as happy as could be;
There were hickories, and chestnuts, there were oaks and sassafras,
There were beeches, willows, maples, all of them I loved. Alas!
Now I’m standing on a greensward rich and soft as velvet down,
And beside me rears a mansion, far the handsomest in town;
I am nursed and treated kindly by the gard’ner old and gray,
But I long – O, how I hunger for my woodland far away.
I must stand here stiff and stately for admiring crowds to see,
While my tall and proud companions will not deign to speak to me;
And the rumble of the traffic as it passes day by day,
Makes me hunger for the quiet of the woodland far away.



Nov. 20, ‘04



No comments:

Post a Comment