Friday, August 21, 2015

Boost Him Up The Hill



“What makes yew look so thundrin’ blew!” says brother Si tur me;
“Yew look ez tho’ yewd run ag’in ol’ King Adversertee;
Come, come, don’t mope here on this lawg, git up an’ shake yewr heels;
Things in this life depen’ yew know, on how a feller feels.”
“Sirus,” says I, a-gittin’ up an’ looking roun’ the place,
I’ve jest erbout got ready tew give up this tarnal race;
I started twenty year ergo, I’m at the bottom still,
I’ve busted eout my traces, an’ I can’t pull up the hill.
I can’t pull up the hill, Si, I can’t pull up the hill;
I’ve busted eout my traces, an’ I can’t pull up the hill.”

“Sho, sho, my boy,” says brother Si, in his eoutspoken way;
“Yew’ve moped eroun’ here long ernough, git intur gear, I say.
Clean eout yewr rooms fur summer folks, don’t plant no corn nur wheat,
But fill yewr groun’ ‘ith summer stuff, a’ temptin’ things tur eat.
Clean up yewr place an’ start anew, an’ be right up tur date,
An’ all them ol’ idees uv yewrn put intur fosserphate.”
“Sirus,” says I, with moistened eye, “Yew’ve done a feller good;
I knowed wuz sumpin’ I could dew, but never understood.
I’ll go tur work, I’ll rennervate, I’ll make the ol’ place shine,
An’ ef I don’t git up the hill, ‘twon’t be no fault uv mine.”

Naow frien’s I said thet years ergo; I preach the same thing still;
I’ve mended up my traces, an’ I’ve pulled her up the hill.
An’ ef yew see a feller daown who’s busted trace or fil,
Jest drop a word ez Sirus did, an’ boost him up the hill.




Aug. 21, 1895
Pub. in B. Courier, Sept. 15, 1895



‘trace’ is an archaic term for path
.
(published as 'Jes' Boost Him Up The Hill')



No comments:

Post a Comment