Wednesday, August 26, 2015

To My Sojourning Wife



For Heaven’s sake! no, mine, I mean,
Come homeward to this one horse scene;
Come home at once if you are wise,
Nor stop to say fourteen “good-byes”.

For everything in all respect
From widower to his cornet.
The pantry shelves are scraped and bare,
And laundered shirts tell tales of wear.

Canary bird has struck, wise thing,
And keeps his head beneath his wing;
Won’t sing, he says to empty rooms,
And empty heads and empty cooms.

A million flies have blowed that they,
Cn blow me out most any day.
And dishes piled high in the sink,
They make a fellow fairly blink.

The panes through which we used to look
Are darker than a long sealed book;
And I could well, in two days more,
Raise good potatoes on the floor.

I have to hold my trousers on
For buttons on them I have none;
And people say I look like, now,
A broken, dry, forsaken bough.

O, yes come home if you are wise,
And make this place a paradise.
It is not good for man to be
Alone with keeping house, you see.


Aug. 26, ‘92
   Pub. in
Conn. Valley
     Ad.

coom - (kuːm) or comb, n.
1. Scot and Northern English waste material, such as dust from coal, grease from axles, etc[C16 (meaning: soot): probably a variant of culm]

(also sawdust or dust from a grindstone)


No comments:

Post a Comment