Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Burning Question



“I love you very much indeed,”
     The eager young man said;
“Yes, more than all else in the world,”
     And then his face grew red.
“Would I could call you all my own,”
     He trembled as he spoke;
“You are the queen of all the queens,
     But, darling, do you smoke?”

“I could forgive a scathing tongue,
     Or disposition sour;
I could o’er look a thousand faults
     That might crop out each hour.
I could withstand your mama’s rage,
     Could listen to your joke;
But what is troubling me each day
     Is whether, dear, you smoke?”

“Extravagant though you might be,
     In hats three feet across;
Though hobble skirts should tie you down
     I’d count that little loss.
But ere I take the final step,
     The clinching word is spoke,
I wish you’d tell me, queenly one,
     If – if – you – ever – smoke?”



Aug. 23, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment