Tuesday, August 18, 2015

No More "Spanking "



An’ now they do not spank no more,
     So all the papers say;
They say that spanking little boys
     And girls has died away.
They say it’s jus’ gone out of style,
     Of course it had to wait
Till I was growed too big to spank
     ‘Fore it went out of date.

‘Twas right in style when I was small,
     A dozen times a day;
Guess I was spanked so much that I
     Was almost spanked away.
Ma took a hand, then pa a turn,
     An’ ‘tween ‘em both I got
All that was comin’ round to me,
     Right on my tender spot.

Some people seem to like to spank
     Their children ev’ry dy.
They get a kind of exercise
     They get no other way.
An’ then they say how much it hurts
     Themselves to spank us so;
I guess it only hurts their hands
     They spank so hard, you know.

Now spankin’ has gone out of style
     I’m sorry as can be;
Becuz I lose a golden chance
     That others had, you see.
I was jus’ lookin’ for the time
     When I’d have children, too,
Then I could spank ‘em good an’ hard
     Like father used to do.



Aug. 18, 1902
Pub. N.Y. Sun,
          Aug. 24, 1902



No comments:

Post a Comment