Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Brass Button Victory

Yes, boys, I’m married sure as fate, in spite of what they say;
The town is very much surprised, and I am, in a way.
I courted Jane for many years, but she was always shy,
And never would she answer “yes”, nor tell the reason why.
I pressed her hard, I pressed her close – to get an answer – see?
But she would never quite consent to go and marry me;
And I was full of righteous woe, an’ took the matter hard,
An’ finally I gave her up an’ joined the local guard.

I met her on the street each day, and she was fair to see,
But I said not a word to Jane nor did she speak to me.
She passed me with her head right up – I did the very same –
And fate was cruel to us both, and Cupid sure was lame.
And were it not the sounds o’ war pervaded all the land,
And were it not the Cap’n drilled us nights to beat the band,
I think I would have lost my head e’en as I lost my heart,
Because ‘twas mighty hard for me to keep from Jane apart.

The weeks dragged on, and by and by our uniforms came down,
And there was something daring in the good old sleepy town.
Brass buttons here and gewgaws there, and cords upon our hats,
And leggings which would put to shame all walking sticks and spats.
I donned my rig and took my Krag and swaggered down the street,
And who should I run up against, but Jane, still looking sweet;
And Jane gave me the wild look, an’ then surrendered quick;
Them big brass buttons on the coat they surely done the trick!



Feb. 25, 1918




No comments:

Post a Comment