Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Woe of Private “B”



                                          

I wanter hear the big guns boom along the Flanders line
     Where boys from home are waitin’ for the Huns to make their drive;
I wanter hera the spittin’ of the automatics five
     An’ see the Yankee airships as they wind an’ dip an’ dive.
I wanter her the bugles when they sound their brassy notes
     A-callin’ men to action for to meet the burrowed Huns,
I wanter see Ol’ Glory as she proudly waves an’ floats
     Inspirin’ of the Sammees as they squint along their guns.

I wanter go to Flanders where the boys are all in brown,
     Where bayonet an’ sabre now are flashin’ in the sun;
Where all the Yanks are itchin’ for the bars to be let down’
     So they can put the demons of the Kaiser on the run.
I wanter see the thick of it, I wouldn’t mind a trench,
     I wanter try my musket on those uniforms of gray;
I wanter feel the handshake of a brother who is French,
     And help to roll the war clouds fur away.

I wanter go to Flanders with good Uncle Sammy’s crew –
     Alas! I’m over 40 an’ I’m sidetracked in the Guard,
Defendin’ docks an’ bridges – that’s the best that I can do –
     This bein’ born too early O, I say, it’s mighty hard!
I wanter go to Flanders, and I wanter smell o’ war
     But Uncle will not take me and my fondest hopes are marred;
But if there’s local trouble – and they saw that’s what we’re for –
     You bet I’ll do my d___est in the Old Home Guard.



Feb. 17, 1918


No comments:

Post a Comment