Thursday, February 26, 2015

Labor To Capital



My heart is sick and my soul is sick
     Of the shameful greed of men;
Of the endless crush and the headlong rush
     Which stifles this age of ken (?).
O the heedless strife and needless strife
     Which blackens the skies that be;
It is all for gain that we suffer pain,
     And it cripples both you and me.
I’m sick of the rich man’s avarice,
     Of his daily poorhouse dread;
I’m sick of the strife that haunts the life
     Of the soul who toils for bread.
The poor man’s snarl and the rich man’s sneer
     Go ringing from sea to sea;
And the discord jars from Earth to Mars,
     And it rankles both you and me.
I’m sick of the sight and sound of trade,
     ‘Tis nothing but Godless schemes;
And the fool who dreams of his honest schemes;
     Is a dreamer of Godless dreams.
But there is a way if we only would,
     That lighten the burdens that be;
To sweeten the life and kill the strife,
     And it rests with both you and me.

                                           “Mill Ballads”



Feb. 26, ’97?



No comments:

Post a Comment