Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Spring Wishin’



I wish the skies would brighten,
     I wish the snow would go;
I wish the clouds would lighten,
     An’ spring-like winds would blow.
I wish the cold wold hurry
     An’ go where it belongs;
I wish the birds would scurry
     Back to us with their songs.

I wish the birds were poppin’
     On all the shrubs an’ trees;
Bluebirds an’ robins hopin’
     Ez sassy ez you please.
I wish the frogs were croakin’
     Down in the marshy bogs,
An’ the mud-turkles pokin’
     Round on the sunnyy logs.

I wish ‘twas time fur fishin’
     Down on ol’ “Lizzard Crick”;
This endless, endless wishin’
     Just makes a feller sick.
I wish the maples hardy
     Were sending out their sap;
I wish the ol’ spring tardy –
     Would wake up from its nap.



Feb. 17, 1910




No comments:

Post a Comment