Monday, October 19, 2015

Grandma’s Yeller Cat



When I was but a little boy,
     ‘Fore I could read an’ spell,
‘Fore I could run with other boys,
     Or talk so very well;
I used to go to grandma’s house,
     To hear her sing an’ chat;
An’ then I’d play upon the floor
     With her big yeller cat.

He wuz the best cat ever wuz,
     At least, so grandma thought;
He knew ez much ez grown up folks,
     An’ he wuz never taught
A single thing; an’ my! You ought
     To see the great big rat,
An' all the snakes an’ toads an’ things
     Caught by ‘at yeller cat!

In summer time he uster chase
     Me out beneath the trees;
An' one day he wuz awful mean,
     An’ runned up one of these.
I cried an’ cried, an’ tried to climb,
     An’ I wuz awful scat;
An' when I run for grandma, down
     Jumped ‘at ol’ yeller cat.

O ‘at wuz years an’ years ago,
     I long have ceased to play;
An’ that ol’ yeller cat hez gone
     Upon her peaceful way.
But oft when comes the eventide,
     I glance down at the mat,
An' think I’d like to curl again
     There with that yeller cat.



Oct. 19, 1900



No comments:

Post a Comment