Monday, October 26, 2015

The Gungy Advocate



Each Saturday it comes to me, it’s seldom ever late,
Our little local paper called the “Gungy Advocate”.
A little eight-page journal, not a bit like city sheets,
That gives the local items and the weekly village meets.
I look for it each Saturday, impatient at the mail,
And know I would feel lonesome like if it should ever fail;
Because it has the doings of the week in Gungy town,
The personals and locals from Judge Silas Patten down.

I wouldn’t miss the “social talk” of Gungy every week,
Although compared with city talk it’s rather slow and meek;
I know what they are doing, folks I used to know so well,
Because the “Gungy Advocate” it never fails to tell.
And when Bill Jones has sold a cow it means much more to me
Than all the speeches of T.R., or doing of John D.
The city papers are all right, and strictly up to date,
But for the bunch I wouldn’t trade the “Gungy Advocate”!



Oct. 26, 1910


T.R. – Teddy Roosevelt
John D. – John D. Rockefeller



No comments:

Post a Comment