Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Home-Made Pumpkin Pie



October is the month for me,
     The best of all the year;
Instead of melancholy I
     Am full of right good cheer.
Of course it’s sad to see the vines
     And leaves curl up and die,
But think of what October brings,
     The home-made pumpkin pie!

The fields are barren, bleak and cold,
     The winds are biting, chill;
Each day uncovers more and more
     The thickly wooded hill.
But just compare the pantry shelves,
     With August or July;
Just note the brown and gold array
     Of mother’s pumpkin pie!

O, let the winds of winter shriek,
     And let the snowflakes fall;
October and the days to come
     Suit me the best of all.
It is the full time of year,
     The bounteous supply;
My life is full when I am full
     Of home-made pumpkin pie!



Oct. 21, 1910



No comments:

Post a Comment