Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Poet’s Aim



I do not want to write for fame,
     I do not want to write for wealth;
I do not want to write for game,
     I do not want to write for health;
I want to write so that my song
     Will reach the cord of someone’s heart,
And start the springs of love along
     Which have become dried up in part.

I want to touch the magic wire
     That reaches God’s and Nature’s plan;
I want to waken and inspire
     Brave deeds within the heart of man.
But how can one thus hope to write,
     To stir a fellow being, too,
Unless he’s ready for the fight,
     Unless he’s brave and good and true?

So then it is for every soul
     Who thus would spread a noble thought,
Who would lead others to the goal,
     To deeds alone by heroes wrought,
He must a living model be,
     A soldier for the truth and right;
A fearless warrior if he
     Would win his soldiers for the fight.



Oct. 28, ‘10



No comments:

Post a Comment