Monday, May 25, 2015

A Modest Summer Maid or The Luckiest Girl On The Beach (A Parody)



                       I.

There was once a fair maiden of girlish grace,
Pretty blue eyes, and a Jersey face;
            Down by the sea, Waiting was she,
     For something real mannish and sleek;
But she dressed in a costume they called the “New”,
And the lads they all gave her a cold adiew,
            Then when the lass, Saw all of them pass,
     This is the piece she would speak:

                      Refrain

“Sad style, bad style, all of your forms I call vile,
     I must don a modest rig, these duds give me a pain;
Beaus I had a plenty, Before I bloomed so scanty,
     I will dress like olden times, when summer comes again.”

                         II.

The wild winter weather soon hied him hence,
This summer she dresses with more expense;
            All of her duds, Are blossoms not buds,
     Of lovers she’s fashioned a score;
And down on the beach she is cutting a dash,
For modest maids men Aren’t afraid to mash,
            She is alright, She is now out of “sight”,
     And sing to the girls by the shore:

                      Refrain

“Old style, gold style, men will keep shy of bold style,
     Modest maids and dresses will hold them like a chain;
Girls it’s time to stuff them, Easy enough to bluff them,
     I’ve got men to burn, I say, now summer’s come again.”



May 25, 1896
B. Courier


(not sure what work is being parodied?)

No comments:

Post a Comment