Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Fairest Day For Me



The skies are clear and bright to-day,
     They ne’er have been so fair;
The morning breeze floats on its way,
     And flowers scent the air.
And ‘neath the orchard boughs I stroll,
     My heart feels strangely new;
I hear the old clock slowly toll
     The hour of eight, – but you
Of course would know why all this glee –
I learned last night my love loved me.

And, tell me, why should not this day
     Be fairest of the fair?
I doubted long in woman’s way
     If he would really dare;
But, with the birds that rest
     High on the boughs above,
A song awakes within my breast,
     A song of joy and love.
And e’en my soul changed seemed to be,
Since I have found my love loves me.

Love is itself, a world alone,
     A sep’rate pot from this;
‘Tis set apart, a sort of throne
     For mortals’ earthly bliss.
But far too few have entered there,
     At least to long remain;
Their love is wasted on the air
     And they return again.
But love more precious than a gem
Reflects on those whose love loves them.



May 26, ‘91


No comments:

Post a Comment