Monday, May 25, 2015

His Simple Song



Sing me a simple song tonight,
     A song of hope and rest;
So full of peacefulness it might
     Have sprung from mother’s breast.
I want no merry roundelay,
     Nor yet a martial air;
No classic strain, but just a plain
     Old ballad, free from care.

Sing me a simple ditty, please,
     One of no great pretense;
A good, old homelike time to ease
     My feelings, most intense.
I’m weary of the work a day,
     Where toil and worry teems;
Please sing tonight a strain so light,
     ‘Twill lull me off to dreams.

Ah, just a simple song tonight,
     As plain as it can be;
It cannot be too soft or light,
     Or simple, dear, for me.
You have no such? Ah, never mind,
     You charming little elf;
I have one here, quite simple dear,
     ‘Tis one I wrote myself!



May 25, ‘09




No comments:

Post a Comment