Friday, May 29, 2015

Why He Failed



                I.
“The early bird gits the worm,”
     My father said to me;
I didn’t understand the term,
     I was too young, you see.
“There’s nothing succeeds like success,”
     My father said to me;
I didn’t catch his drift, I guess,
     I was too young you see.

                 II.
“Fain’t heart ne’er won fair lady yet,”
     My sweetheart said to me;
The sense of it I didn’t get,
     I was too young, you see.
“I’ll be a sister to you, dear,”
     Another said to me;
I didn’t understand, I fear,
     I was so young, you see,

                 III.
“It never is too late to learn,”
     My teacher said to me;
I didn’t grasp the useful turn,
     I was too dull you see.
“Strike while the iron is hot,” young man,
     My boss he said to me.
But I wound up where I began,
     I was a fool, you see.



May 29, ‘09


No comments:

Post a Comment