Saturday, May 30, 2015

From North To South


               (In answer to Fred Woodward’s poem: “Greeting – To Joe Cone” in the Ad. May 28, ’92)


Fred Woodward and wife: I’ve read your kind greetin’
An’ find in it no evidence of cheatin’.
Your warm words in rhyme from that sunny clime
Seem flavored with “Orange”, “Citron” and “Lime”.
But harkee! if e’er you deny bein’ Yankee
I’ll take the express an’ eternally spank’ee.
If ever I am proud uv myself it is when
I’m called a durn Yankee by women and men.
Your kind words are welcome, and give me fresh start;
They’re Southern in courtness and Northern in heart.
The names uv two more frien’s tho’ miles they’re away,
Have entered my book uv friendship to-day.
I’m glad that my poems hev carried you North
To ol’ Middle Haddam where “Prophets” blaze forth.
An' besides it is cheaper than steamer or rail
An’ quicker than shankin’ o’er hill an’ through dale.
May many long years bless you an’ the madam,
Is the wish uv a native uv ol’ East Haddam.



May 30, ‘92
Conn. Valley

Advertiser

No comments:

Post a Comment