Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Old Cider Mill



I used to love to steal away
     At night, when all was still,
To spend an hour or so alone
     Down in the cider mill.
The crickets chirp, the tree-toads note,
     Was music to my ear;
And stealing down the crooked lane,
     I had no thought of fear.

I knew just where the biggest straw
     Lay hidden on the beam;
And knew just where the old tub sat
     Beneath its golden gleam.
And from the drip, drip of the cheese,
     Thrilled to my young heart’s core;
I sucked and sucked of apple juice,
     Till I could hold no more.

O, there were mugs and dippers there,
     And cans in bright array;
But sucking cider through a straw,
     Beats every other way.
And now when every fall comes round,
     With apples in the till,
I long to steal adown the lane,
     Down to the cider mill.

The cider mill no doubt has done,
     Much harm to some weak heart;
But was the old mill all to blame?
     Ah, no; the smallest part.
When not abused it is a joy,
     I love it, love it still;
And would I now were rummaging
     Down in the cider mill.



May 27, 1895
Pub. in B.Courier,

Dec. 1, ‘95

No comments:

Post a Comment