Monday, April 27, 2015

A Poet Jes’ Like You


                                                     To Nixon Waterman


I’ve read “A Book of Verses”, sir,
      Read every blessed line;
An’ want to say in my poor way,
      I thought it very fine.

An' you had orter feel jes’ proud,
      Ez I presume you do;
An' ez for me, I’d like to be
      A poet jes’ like you.

                                                                                           Joe Cone
April 27, 1900

Nixon Waterman (12 November 1859, Newark, Kendall County, Illinois - 1 September 1944, Canton, Norfolk County, Massachusetts) was a newspaper writer, poet and Chautauqua lecturer, who rose to prominence in the 1890s.

c. 1937 (age 78)
"A house is built of bricks and stones, of sills and posts and piers;
But a home is built of loving deeds that stand a thousand years."

“Though life is made up of mere bubbles
'Tis better than many have,
For while we've a whole lot of troubles
The most of them never occur.”

~Nixon Waterman


               

No comments:

Post a Comment