Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Lay of the Lawn Mower



I rest in the cellar all through the hot day
     With never a thing to do;
And I think of the people who toil away,
     The many and not the few.
I think of my master, a good fellow he,
     Who’s anxious for day to close
So he can rush home and exercise me
     Five hours before his repose.

     Then buzz, buzz, buzz
        And click, click, click;
     I bum against a tree,
        I slam against a brick.
     Out at the break of day,
        By candlelight alas!
     You’ll hear me making hay –
        I cut a deal of grass.

How sad I feel for the man with no lawn
     His life must be drear, I know;
Nothing to please him at early dawn,
     No acre of grass to mow.
My master is up at the break of day,
     How happy his morning strain;
He knows a good thing and pushes away,
     Till he has to run for his train.

     Then biff, bang, biff,
        And click, clack, click;
     Perhaps it’s just a stone
        Or else a hidden stick.
     Out at the break of day,
        Or candlelight, alas!
     I may not make much hay,
        But I cut a deal of grass.



April 22, ‘09


No comments:

Post a Comment