Monday, April 27, 2015

In the Harness



“When I get rich I am going to retire,”
     Said the man at the prime of life;
And he ground each day in the same old way,
     Knee deep in commercial strife.
“I’m not going to wait till I get old,
     I shall have a few years of rest”;
And he plugged along with the toiling thing
     In the way which he thought was best.

When he rolled up a thousand he thought was small,
     So he labored to make it two;
And when he reached four he wanted still more,
     As every man’s sure to do.
And he struggled and worked to make it ten –
     When he got it it still seemed small;
For his point of view it had altered, too,
     And his ten wouldn’t do at all.

And the white crept o’er his wrinkled brow,
     And a stoop crept into his frame;
“I’ll stay a year more” – he had said it before –
     “And then I’ll get out of the game.”
But the years they came and the years they went,
     And the pile grew yellow and great;
And the sum he prized was at last realized,
     But the rest didn’t come till too late.



April 27, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment