Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Real Fishin’


                                                         (rewritten*)


It’s well enough to go to Maine
   An’ take your rod an’ line;
The Adirondacks offer up
   Some salmon fishin’ fine.
An’ men will come an’ men will go
   An’ fish an’ fish away;
An’ set upon a hard pine board
     The liveling summer day.
An’ some catch more an’ some catch less,
   An’ some catch less than that;
Aye, some get nary bite at all
   Except beneath the hat.
If their imagination’s strong,
   An’ “bait” is in its prime,
They’ll tell you when the trip is done,
   They’ve had a bully time.

I take my ol’cane pole an’ go
   On “Lizzard Crick” each day,
An’ shove amongst the lily-pads
   Right where the pick’rel lay.
I slap my bait amongst the weeds,
   A perch’s belly fine
An’ pretty soon there comes a swish
   An’ then a tautened line.
I give my ol’ cane pole a swing
   An’ thro’ the air there flies
A yeller, gleamin’ pickerel
   Of most temenjous size.

Now you kin go way down in Maine,
     Where them big salmon lay
An’ row around with patent gear
     Without a bite all day.
Or to the Adirondack lakes
With all their fishin’ fine,
But I will take my ol’ cane pole
     An’ “Lizzard Crick” for mine!



April 22, 1908


 (*originally ‘The Real Thing’, July 19, ’07)

No comments:

Post a Comment