Friday, April 24, 2015

The New Stenog’


                                                 (Poem by the Office Boy)


De boss has got a new stenog’,
     A blonde she is for fair;
She wears two roses on her chest,
     And one stuck in her hair.
Her cheeks are pink, but I don’t know
     If all the color’s her’n;
But if she stays here long enough
     I’ll have a chance to learn.

She’s got a shape dat surely makes
     De odder maidens sore;
Yew orter see deyr noses tip
     When she goes t’rough de store.
“Imported’s” what dey ‘sinuate
     When speakin’ of her build;
If looks could kill our new stenog’
     She surely would be killed.

De head clerk he’s beside himself
     To get a little smile;
De guy who tallies up de books
     Is round her all de while.
De boss he’s actin’ nervous like,
     When she takes down his speil,
An' wears a flower in his coat –
     Gee, how de boss must feel.

I ain’t no prophet, but I know
     Dat somethin’s goin’ to drop;
No place for parson’s sons to be
     When blondes are in the shop.
I’m on de outside lookin’ in,
     Believe me dere’ll be fun;
I’ve always heard my mudder say:
     “Look out  for blondes, my son.”



Apr. 24, 1913

Sent Monday, Apr. 28 

No comments:

Post a Comment