Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Suburban Conversation



Hodge – Hello Dagget, got your planting all done?
Dagget – Yes sir; finished last night, half past ten. Got yours all done?
Hodge – Sure; got my last seed in eight-o’clock. Bangs was over and held the lantern for me. Going to rise much this year, Dag?
Dagget – Yes; I’ve put the whole lot into vegitables this year. Mrs. D wanted flowers and fruit and the deuce knows what, but I says “no-sire-ee, we’ll put the whole thing into something that’ll bring us something in return.”
Hodge – The same here. What’s you plant?
Dagget – O, I got a variety this year. I put in six hills of corn, a yard of peas, one hill of squash, six hills of potatoes, one of cucumber, a yard each of lettuce, radishes, onions, beets, carrots, parsnips, a half yard of string beans, two potato plants and one hill of pole beans. I wanted to put in a cabbage plant but there wasn’t room.
Hodge – O, I beat you by one hill of potatoes and a cabbage plant.
Dagget – How’d you do it, my lot’s as big as yours?
Hodge – Well, you see my wife’ going to send her washing out and I took up a clothes post and got that much extra room. Well, here comes the train. Coming into the smoker?
Dagget – No I guess not this morning. Good bye.
Hodge – Good bye.



April 21, 1904


No comments:

Post a Comment