Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Averse To Spring



I never yet have poetized
     Upon the gentle spring;
Because I know the editor
     Likes not that sort of thing.
The grasses green, the purling brooks
     For him have not a charm;
He has no use for buds that burst
     Upon the wayside farm.

The robin’s trill, the clucking hen,
     The little lambs that bleat;
The whippoorwills and katy-dids,
     Awake no echoes sweet
Within the soul of him who sits
     Low in his office chair;
And sends regrets to poets who
     Are making him despair.

O I could write a yard of verse
     Upon the joys of spring;
Portray the spryness of the sprout,
     And all that sort of thing.
But I refrain, I will not break,
     My spring poetic vow;
As I have said, I never have,
     And I will not venture now.



Jan. 21, 1900



No comments:

Post a Comment