Thursday, January 29, 2015

“Beautiful Snow”


A poet by the window sat
And watched the snowflakes as they spat
Against the window pane; and then
He seized his ever ready pen.
     “Snow, snow, beautiful snow;
I love you so, I love you so;
I love to see you dance and float,”
              He wrote.

A boy looked out into the air,
And saw the snowflakes everywhere;
And then he hurried to the shed,
And got his bright new Christmas sled.
     “Snow, snow, beautiful snow;
I love you so, I love you so;
     Oh, come on boys and have a side,”
              He cried.

An old shoemaker sat also,
And watched the thickly falling snow,
He saw the rubber business boom,
And knew that snowstorms meant his doom.
     “Snow, snow, dad g‘ast the snow,
     I hate you so, I hate you so;
     Until you go my work is dead,”
              He said.         

Jan. 29, ‘95
Pub. in Boston Courier

Feb. 10, 1895 

No comments:

Post a Comment