Friday, January 23, 2015

Moonlight On the Cove, A Song

            


I
Across the dark and placid stream,
      The silent grove lies sleeping;
Above the gold-tipped hemlock boughs
      The August moon comes creeping.
I see its rays light up the scene,
      I see the waters glisten;
I hear the tuneful whippoorwill,
      And watch and idly listen.

II
My skiff lies swaying with the tide,
      Impatient for its master;
My heart thrills warm with love and hope,
      My pulses beat e’en faster,
And to the shore I wend my way,
Beside the water gleaming;
Where fishes watch the silv’ry moon,
      where lilies closed lie dreaming.

And oh! the joy that fills my soul,
      The moon reflecting river!
I never can forget the scene,
      The glistening water’s quiver.
For youth is strong and full of hope,
      I see my love-light glisten;
I hear the voice of one I love,
      And watch and idly listen.
Jan. 23, ‘94
Pub. in Conn. Valley Ad.

Feb. 24, 1894

No comments:

Post a Comment