Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Good Claimer


“I claim,” said William Henry Jones,
     (Bill Jones the grocer man)
“That I am jest ez much account
     As any other man.
I claim I know my biz niz here,”
     Said he, in risin’ tones,
“Ez well ez Carnegie knows his,”
     Said William Henry Jones.

“I claim that we are equals all,
     Each in a diffrunt line;
An’ Roosevelt an’ his career
     Ain’t much ahead uv mine.
Fur all I ain’t no college man,
     I don’t make any bones
Uv tellin’ people what I claim,
     Said William Henry Jones.

Then William claimed a good deal more,
     An’ claimed it good an’ strong;
An’ emphasized it with a look
     Of scorn upon the throng.
Then someone nudged Jed Martin who
     Said calm as ever wuz:
“I’ve allus noticed claimin’ is
     The best thing William does.”

Jan. 28, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment