Friday, January 30, 2015

Pick’relin Thro’ The Ice



I know the boys are fishin’ down on Lizzard Crick today,
Jest down round there in the bend right where the pik’rel lay;
The weather’s kinder meller an’ it’s warm behind the hill,
An’ that is when the pick’rel bite, when ev’rything is still.
I know thet Billy Buzzy is a-cuttin’ holes today,
An’ baitin’ hooks with shiners in the good ol’ fashioned way;
An’ when he sees a tilt-up bob he steals up in a trice
An’ flops a yeller pick’rel right out upon the ice.

An’ then the campfire on the shore with logs a-lyin’ round,
A lively blaze of driftwood with it’s sizzlin’, crackin’ sound,
Lends cheer and comfort to the scene, an’ I can picter Bill
With ha’f a dozen other chaps close underneath the hill
A-spinnin’ yarns an’ toastin shins, the smoke a-curlin’ high,
An’ sailin’ off in little clouds to meet the wintry sky;
A jolly set of fisher-folk as ever kept from vice,
Whose hearts are full uv happiness when fishin’ through the ice.

I wish thet I could fish today down on ol’ Lizzard Crick,
Jest down around there in the bend where pick’rel lie thick;
I’d like to set a score of hooks an’ bait ‘em up to kill,
An’ run a race for numbers with my good ol’ schoolmate Bill.
An’ then I’d like to toast my shins beside the ol’ campfire,
An’ prove my reputation ez an’ all-round fishin’ liar.
I know my life would be complete, if I could just entice
A few of them big yeller chaps to come out on the ice.



Jan. 30, 1901

No comments:

Post a Comment