Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Father And Lincoln


When I was but a youngster on the farm I recall
The things my father said to me, the good and bad and all;
Especially the good advice, at least he thought ‘twas good,
But as for me, I don’t believe I ever understood.
When I would want to run out nights or hang around the store
He’d look at me above his specs, as he had done before,
And say, “Yew can’t be out o’nights, I pos’tively forbid,
Jest stay at home an’ study, boy, Abe Lincoln allus did.”

Whenever I was hoeing corn or building fences new,
And kind of stood around and dreamed like some folks always do;
Stood thinking o my rabbit traps or kite strings laid away,
My father he would happen round and look at me and say:
“Fur pity’s sake, what’s ailin’ yew? Yeou’ll never git this done;
Let me jist furnish yew a word uv good advice my son.
Stick tew yeour job an’ got it done, all other thoughts furbid;
Don’t think a fence will build itself, Abe Lincoln never did.”

And if I looked down on the crick and wished that I was there
Just where I knew each pickerel lay within his sheltered lair,
My father would appear and say, mayhap with good intent:
“Don’t waste no time a-fishin’ boy, Abe Lincoln never went.”
One day I said to him, said I, my patience well-nigh spent:
“If I should do as Lincoln did would I be president?”
Pa “hemmed and hawed”, and scratched his head, and said, “Waal, I dunno;
But if you want tew fish today I guess you’d better go!”



Jan. 28, ‘09

No comments:

Post a Comment