Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Annual Mood



I wish I was a soldier man,
     Out fightin’ with a gun;
If I should sight the enemy
     Gee, how I’d make ‘em run!
Wish I was straddle of a horse
     With bullets flyin’ thick;
A soldier’s life’s the life for me –
     But gee, this rithmertic!

I wish I was a pirate bold,
     A-sailin’ o’er the sea;
A-sinkin’ ships an’ getting’ gold,
     How happy I would be!
I’d make the cap’n walk the plank,
     Whatever that may be;
An' sail back home with loads of gold –
     But gee! This jiggerfree!

I wish I was an engineer,
     Upon a railroad train;
A thousand miles of track ahead,
     Out through the open plain.
I’d open that old throttle wide
     Till all creation shook;
I’d drive her through to ‘Frisco Bay –
     But gee, this spellin’ book!

I wish I was a President,
     Or Senator or such;
I’d make a stir in Washin’ton,
     An’ talk to beat the Dutch.
Wish I was South, where it is warm,
     Or ‘laska where it’s cool;
Wish I was somethin’, somewhere, ‘stid
     Uv bein’ here in school!



Jan. 24, 1913



No comments:

Post a Comment