Saturday, June 27, 2015

Her Reason



‘Twas twilight on the placid lake,
     We two were in the skiff;
And for an hour we’d hung beneath
     The shadows of a cliff.
She at the stern, I at the oars,
     And heav’nly she did seem!
As ‘neath the brim of supple straw
     Shone forth a poet’s dream.

“Ah! were the stern wide enough
For two!” I madly cried;
“But come, mind not the tiller, love,
     My seat is firm and wide;
Come, help me row, we’re far from shore,
     And night comes on,” I said;
But she, blushed slightly at her thoughts,
     And shook her pretty head.

“Ah! no,” said she, I would not dare,
     Row farther on, you may,
But I must steer,” and to my prayers
     She shook her tresses “nay”.
“Art not afraid?” I sorely asked,
     With slightly blushing brow;
“‘Afraid’? O, no, you cross old stick,
     It’s most – too light – just now.”




June 27, ‘94
Pub. in Boston
Courier, Sept. 16,

   1894 

No comments:

Post a Comment