Sunday, June 28, 2015

The “Rounder” - As the Rhymster Sees Him



                  I.

I’m here, I’m there, I’m everywhere,
     I keep the coppers guessing;
My eagle eye and manner sly,
     Is to them quite distressing.
I’m on the track of scoundrels black,
     And men who scheme for boodle;
And in the field of larger yield
     I shout for Yankee Doodle.

I’m the royal rolling Rounder,
I’m a heavyweight expounder,
I’m the real ward three astounder,
     And I keep the “Pets” at sea;
I have hearing like a rabbit,
If they hatch a plot I nab it,
And I whet my knife and stab it,
     And I chuckle in my glee.

                  II.

I’m up the street, I’m down the beat,
     I’m in the darkened alley;
With naught a fear I have an ear
     In every kind of rally.
My modern guns “range” certain ones,
     My searchlight sweeps the city;
‘Tis swift and hard when I bombard
     With no McKinley pity.

I’m the raking, rasping Rounder,
I’m the heavyweight expounder,
I’m the real ward three astounder,
     I’ve got surprises yet in store;
I keep the “Pets” all guessing,
In a manner most distressing,
And the public vote me blessing,
     And I ask for nothing more.



Written for The
Cambridge Times.
Pub. June 24,
    1898


(This might refer to T. Roosevelt’s Rough Riders, who were both of various ‘backgrounds’ and armed with multi-round carbines. They first arrived in Cuba on June 23, 1898)



No comments:

Post a Comment