Monday, June 29, 2015

My Fair Amanuensis



I sit beside her daily
     Dictating yards of verse,
And stories, jokes and sketches,
     And paragraphs quite terse.
Sometimes they’re sentimental –
     She fumbles o’er her keys,
Mis-spells and does it over,
     And seems quite ill at ease.

Her name is Helen Mabel,
     (The rest I’ll not disclose)
She’s pretty as a picture,
     I love her, Heaven knows.
And oft in story writing
     I have to say like this:
“I love you, Gertrude, darling,
     And send to you one – long – kiss.”

‘Tis then my fair companion
     Does wretched work; you see
I believe the little angel
     Is dead in love with me.
And then I stop the story,
     And kiss away her strife;
What’s that? You think “it’s awful?”
     Great Scott, man, she’s my wife!



June 29, ‘06

          Sent Life, July 2, ‘06


amanuensis – (/əˌmænjuːˈɛnsɪs/) a person employed to write or type what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another, and also refers to a person who signs a document on behalf of another under the latter's authority.
                                                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanuensis



No comments:

Post a Comment