Saturday, June 27, 2015

My Old Shop Shoes


                                                  (Revised, see printed copy)


The day of weary toils begins,
     The clatter of machines;
The whistles scream, the flying wheels,
     Bespeak of busy scenes.
The hours slowly drag along,
     And soon my feet refuse
To lend support, unless I get
     Into my old shop shoes.

Those old shop shoes! they’re full of holes,
     And shape they do not claim;
And if they were not tied with strings,
     They wouldn’t hold their name.
But what care I for size and shape?
     Relief is what I choose;
And “founts of youth”, I ween are they,
     Those battered old shop shoes.

And as I draw them slowly on,
     O’er burning toe and heel,
Quick streaks of comfort up my legs
     And o’er my body steal.
Ah! patent leathers if you will,
     With all their gaws and gews;
But if you want a lease of life,              to love the world
     Put on your old shop shoes.



June 27, ‘94
Pub. in Boston Courier
   Feb. 24, 1895

(‘gaws and gews’ – ‘gewgaw’ - something showy but useless and of little value; trinket.
http://www.yourdictionary.com/gewgaw                                           


                                  
                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment