Friday, June 26, 2015

Divvy Up



He wuz an artist feller,
     An’ he strolled onto my farm,
With a lot uv paintin’ brushes,
     An’ a book beneath his arm.
Says he, “Mr. Hayseed, howdy,”
     An’ he made a stagy bow;
Says he, “May I hev the pleasure
     Uv a-paintin’ uv yewr caow?”
“She is lyin’ in the pastur,
     In a fine, artistic pose;
An’ I thought I’d stop an’ ask ye
     Ef ‘twas safe tur git up close?”
Says I, “Go ahead an’ paint ‘er,
     She is gentle, I’ll allow;
But – er – how much be yew a gittin’
     Fur a paintin’ uv a caow?”
“Fifty dollars,” says he, smilin’,
     “Fifty dollars isn’t much
Fur a picture 8x12, sir,
     With my fine artistic touch.”
Says I, “Young man, thet is cheatin’,
     An’ the like I never see;
Yew don’t paint thet thar young heifer
     ‘Thout yew divvy up ‘ith me!”


June 26, ‘95
Pub. in B. Courier,

July 7, 1895

No comments:

Post a Comment