Wednesday, June 24, 2015

On the Sand



I wrote “I love you,” on the sand,
     Beside the ocean rolling;
A maiden, parasol in hand,
     Came beachward lightly strolling.
She stopped and read the magic line,
     Then added something to it;
My heart beat wildly to define –
     Her answer, and she knew it.

The carelessly she strolled away
     Beside the lisping ocean;
I hurried where the message lay,
     My heart in wild commotion.
Ah, what would her sweet answer be?
     I shook with expectation;
She threw a look or two at me,
     I thought, in admiration.

Upon the white and glistening sand,
     Beneath my message burning,
She’s written in a girlish hand,
     Three words my ardor spurning.
I wrote “I love you,” plain as day,
     And here is how she met it:
(Just like a mean girl, anyway)
     “I love you!”
     “O forget it.”


c. June 24, ’09




No comments:

Post a Comment