Monday, June 29, 2015

The Farmer of 1910



“Jerry, git out my automobile,
     Lemme see, the big one, I reck’;
I wanter look over the farm today,
     An’ I’m goin’ to ride, by heck!
Time was when I tramped around the farm,
     Or drove an ol’ hoss, you know;
But now I kin wheel in my automobile,
     Come, Jerry, don’t move so slow.

An’ Jerry, fill up fur a good long run,
     I’m goin’ to town, I be,
To buy that cottage I seen last week,
     That cottage down by the sea.
An’ Jerry, put in my evenin’ clothes,
     An’ my plug hat, don’t you know;
I’m goin’ to stay in town all night,
     An’ take in the burlesque show.

An’ Jerry, I’m goin’ to take along
     A bundle of good long green;
If I find the right style I’m thinkin’ somen’at
     Uv buyin’ a flyin’ machine.
Now Jerry, just let her feel the speed,
     We kin dodge the law’s long arm,”
And away went Hiram Ezekiel Jones
     Of Mountain and Valley Farm.



June 29, ‘10




No comments:

Post a Comment