Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Childless Man’s Lament



Dear little toddler come sit on my lap,
Mamma she is weary and needeth a nap;
Papa he is busy for one little while,
O, come to me toddler, we’ll frolic and smile.
You know that at home I’ve no toddler like you,
No baby to fondle or harken unto;
So come to me toddler and my baby be,
I’ve stories to tell you and trinkets to see.

                 Chorus

       Up he goes, up he goes,
             High in the air;
       Loud he crows, loud he crows,
             Chubby and fair.
       Down he comes, down he comes
             Ruffles and all;
     Cling to me toddler or I’ll let you fall.

Stay with me toddler, ah! go not away;
I long for your prattle, I’m lonely today;
Your face is a picture of beauty to see,
Your smile is a pleasure and comfort to me.
Yes, come to me toddler, ah! now I have you;
You cannot escape me nor shall you want to;
There, dear little fellow, I know you won’t go,
I’ve wonderful stories, and play things to show.

                 Chorus



June 27, ‘94


No comments:

Post a Comment