Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Name of Peter White





“I’d like to know the reason why
     The things some people say
Are quoted in the magazines
     An’ papers ev’ry day,
While things I say are never kept,
     An’ mine are jest ez bright
Ez what them other fellers say,”
     Said Uncle Peter White.

“Take Shakespeare, Drummond, Socrates,
     The papers ev’ry day
Hev lines all scartered here an’ there
     That them wise fellers say.
To me they don’t seem special bright,
     No brighter’n some of mine,
An’ yit you’ll never see my name
     Hitched to a single line.

“I don’t know why it is, I mum,
     That Spencer, Pope an’ Poe
An’ half a hundred other chaps
     Are allus quoted so.
I make wise sayin’s ev’ry day,
     To me they’re special bright;
An’ yet you never see nowheres
     The name uv Peter White.

“There’s something wrong somewhere, I know,
     They’ve simply cornered fame;
Them bits uv wisdom are attached
     To some more favored name.
But I hev hopes the time will come,
     The papers will be bright
Enough to print the things I’ve said,
     An’ sign the name uv White.


June 28, ’09


No comments:

Post a Comment