Friday, June 26, 2015

Our Summer Boarders



Life in the country allus ain’t
     What it’s cracked up to be;
It ain’t so inderpendunt nor
     So absolutely free.
In winter time it’s well enough,
     An’ spring an’ fall I mum;
But now, it ain’t so much becuz
     The summer folks hev come.

I thought the farm belonged to me,
     But no, tain’t none of mine;
I owned it once, but that wuz in
     The days uv’ ol’ lang Syne.
‘Twuz when the ground wuz bare an’ brown,
     When spring wuz cold an’ glum;
‘Twuz in the palmy days afore
     The summer boarders come.

The sleepin’ rooms they’ve got ‘em all
     ‘Cept one, that’s full o’ trunks;
Semanthy’ a’ me we occupy
     Some foldin’ kitchen bunks.
We darsn’t use the settin’ room,
     Nor touch the porch, I swim;
We ain’t called nothin’ ours sence
     The summer boarders come.

They want the hoss ten times a day,
     An’ not a minute’s wait;
They chase me up with spade an’ hoe
     To dig ‘em worms fur bait.
They want the hammocks up or down,
     Or want the swing tree clumb;
I’m jest a sort uv butler sence
     The summer boarders come.

Semanthy’s bound to advertise,
     She got results galore;
When I git hungry now I go
     An’ lunch down in the store.
They make the aigs an’ garden sass,
     An’ milk an’ butter hum;
Home’s like a foreign mission sence
     The summer boarders come.




June 26, ‘09

No comments:

Post a Comment