Monday, July 27, 2015

A Glimpse of the Past



There’s nothing for me in the up-to-date schemes,
      In the methods of travel so fast;
I live in the midst of far away dreams,
      I dote on the things of the past.
I yearn not to soar far away in the skies,
      I stand before science aghast;
Let me live in the days of the stage and the chaise,
      Let me dwell in the peace of the past.

I shrink from the hurry that shatters the lives
      Of the people who dwell in the mart.
They flounder and swerve on the strength of their nerve,
      Like a boat minus compass or chart.
O, the roil and the broil of the everyday life,
      With its tendencies mighty and fast;
It is well for the souls who are striving for goals,
      But I want the sweet peace of the past.

I want the old horse and I want the old chaise,
      And the ride down the old shady lane;
And I want the sweet maid who knows nothing of trade,
      But who knows how to handle the rein.
And I want the old mill by the languishing stream,
      And the rest of the churchyard at last;
I see nothing but waste in this hurry and haste,
      Let me live in the dreams of the past.




July 27, 1910




No comments:

Post a Comment