Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Fishing Of Today



For a year I have been wishing,
That again I might go fishing,
So I left the city’s rumble for the quiet country stream;
     And the joy that flickered o’er me
     When I saw the lake before me,
Was a thing I should imagine very like a poet’s dream.

     In the skiff I soon was seated,
     And most gloriously was heated,
With the July sun roasting like the Hades that we hear;
     And I waited, waited, waited,
     With my Limerick well baited,
And the only bite I noticed was upon my shady ear.

     O, ye gods, and little fishes!
     Unto Sheol, fish and wishes!
Thus I muttered, hot and thirsty, when my homeward way I took;
     Then to Quincy Market went I,
     And an even dollar spent I,
Where one finds fish in plenty that will bite a silver hook.



July 25, ‘95
Boston Courier,
August 4, ‘95


Sheol - the abode of the dead in early Hebrew thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment