Sunday, July 26, 2015

Mummer’s Rest*



                  I.

Athwart my boyhood stream I gazed,
     Far in the hills supreme;
And there beheld a Resting place,
     A very poet’s dream.
“What spot be that, my worthy friend?”
     Quoth I with interest;
“Why that,” quoth he, with pride to me,
     “That sire, be Mummer’s Rest.”

                  II.

“E’en so,” quoth I, “then speed away,
     For thither would I go;
A worthy couple dwell therein,
     Whom better would I know.”
Then spy me did the genial Mum,
     Who greetings gave with zest;
“Welcome,” quoth he, right brotherlee,
     “Welcome to Mummer’s Rest.”

                  III.

And did we dwell long on the stage,
     Old memories awake;
Forsooth did tempt ye many bass,
     On fair old Bashan Lake.
And by and by the festive board,
     And merry making, jest;
Bohemia, that dazzling star,
     Found I at Mummer’s Rest.

                  IV.

Of eggs and bacon did I fill,
     Forsooth did much expand;
And biscuits? “first attempts,” quoth she,
     Shaped by a mummer’s hand.
Ah, Bashan Lake, and Moodus fair,
     Long may you well be blest;
And well-fare-you, good souls and true,
     Thou Mums at Mummer’s Rest.



*Wright-Huntington’s summer home,
                        Bashan, Conn. (East Haddam)

In a Mummer’s hammock,
                   July 26, ‘95

Pub. in Conn.
Valley Advertiser,
          Aug. 2, ‘95


Mummer – 1) a performer in a pantomime; broadly: actor; 2) one who goes merrymaking in disguise during festivals.
                                                                                                http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mummer



No comments:

Post a Comment