Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Joys That We’ve Tasted



                  1.

Do you recall the night my love?
That you and I went rowing?
I felt most sure that you would prove
     The love I thought was growing.

                  2.

How plain I see your manly strokes
     Which sent our light craft bounding;
How plain I hear your merry jokes,
     Like sweetest music sounding.

                  3.

The silv’ry moon shone clear and bright –
     I held the tiller, steering;
But turned my head for fear you might
     See all my hope and fearing.

                  4.

You, resting on your oars, begun,
     (Just like a true born lover)
Saying you’d sooner row with one
     If I would take the other.

                  5.

Oh joyous chord on strings of love!
     That filled my soul o’erflowing;
I seized the oar and madly strove
     To hide it all by rowing.

                  6.

What wonder then (oh thought sublime)
     My girlish heart should flutter;
Alas! we reached shore just in time
     To check the words you’d utter.

                  7.

Next eve I thought we’d float again,
     But ah! fate knows no pity;
You took an early morning train
     Back to the busy city.



July 29, ‘90
Pub. Cam. Press


This was fairly heavily re-edited at some point. A few of the more significant:

The original title was ‘To My Absent Lover’.

 ‘Oh absent one’ was replaced in the first line of #6, ‘longing’ with ‘girlish in the second.

The second line in #7 was originally: ‘But cruel fate withheld us’, the fourth: ‘Back to your city labors’.

The following eighth stanza was crossed out:

The weary seasons come and go
     I’ve hoped your love would waken;
And too, I’ve hoped, you’ll never now
     What is a love forsaken.


No comments:

Post a Comment